Our Sunday morning message at Calvary Chapel Franklin, May 24, 2020. The passage is a reminder of the beauty in the simple, sincere & sacrificial worship of Jesus.
- Fasting is often practiced for its health, system cleansing benefits
- Daniel Fast
- Fasting as a general practice in the world
- Fasting as a biblical practice
- A regular practice
- A focus on denying the flesh as we seek to draw closer to the Lord
- Specific fasting
Spiritual preparation for ministry
- Matt. 4, Luke 4: Jesus’ own ministry
- Matt. 17:21: This kind only comes out with prayer and fasting
- Acts 13:1-3: In concert with prayer/worship for God’s wisdom and direction: direction
- Ezra 8:21-23: In concert with prayer for God’s protection
The question at hand regarding fasting
- In the context of a wedding (the presence of the Bridegroom), fasting would be inappropriate
- The image of the wedding is often used in both the Old and New Testaments
- While the Bridegroom is here, the response should be one of joy
- There will soon come the time when the Bridegroom will be taken away, and fasting will become necessary
- Old/New cloth
- You wouldn’t expect to fix up an old cloth with new cloth
- Jesus didn’t come to “patch up” the Old Covenant, but to fulfill its purpose, and introduce the New Covenant
- Old/New Wine & wineskins
- Old wineskins are inadequate to hold new wine, therefore a new/fresh wineskin is necessary for new wine
- The Law was adequate for what it was intended to hold, but not for the new wine/Covenant
One the first Christian books I read as a new believer was “A shattered visage.” it was important and enormously formative of my own sensitivities regarding what it meant to be a minister of the Gospel. Ravi had the ability to share richly philosophical and deeply intellectual ideas with such humanity in the love of Christ.
As Ravi enters his reward, we say adieu, and I find myself a better Christian for having come to know Jesus better through Ravi’s service to Him. Thank you Ravi…you wore His coat well.
An early exposure to Ravi’s ministry was this video that I watched from a 1983 conference in Amsterdam that he spoke at. This message was given almost 10 years before I would become a Christian. It’s a testimony to how a ministry committed to making known the God of Truth can have lasting impact. I hope you enjoy it and are inspired by it.